52 tips to promote yourself on Instagram
Do you use Instagram to promote your business? Are you getting enough interaction with your brand?
Instagram is a great way to connect with your active customers on social media. There are 130 million active users on Instagram every month, and every day 1 million photos are shared. Use the application correctly, and you will be able to generate very powerful marketing actions. If you use it incorrectly, your efforts on this social network will be in vain.
Do you use Instagram to tell your brand story, engage with your followers wherever they are, and even get user-generated content through a photo contest?
For those new to Instagram, or just those who want some more advice, I’ve put together 52 tips to market your brand more properly on Instagram.
Set up your account on Instagram
1. Create your Instagram account for Business – It is very easy to create a business account on Instagram .
2. Set a username – Use your company name as the username. If used, choose a username that is instantly recognizable with your brand.
3. Complete your profile – Include an attractive brand photo, a short informative bio, and a link to your website.
4. Connect your account to Facebook – Instagram is owned by Facebook. Connect these two powerful social networks to increase your marketing efforts.
5. Create an Instagram tab on your Facebook page – This allows you to instantly share your Instagram photos with your Facebook fans.
Companies like Mercedes Benz are very good at integrating their Instagram content on Facebook:
6. Create a specific brand strategy – Keep your Instagram content strategy focused on your brand as the only way to see the world. Instagram is a photo (and now video) sharing site. Connect your business with your audience on Instagram in a visually consistent and particular way.
7. Use #Hashtags in your updates – Tags are an important part of Instagram. It is the way that users have to find you on the net. Unlike other sites, like Twitter, you are not limited by a number of characters. Include a few tags, but not too many or your posts will be hard to find.
8. Use a specific #Hashtag for your company – Include your company name in some of your hashtag posts. Also, use specific hashtags for particular marketing campaigns you work on. For example, if you are the host of an Instagram contest , make a unique tag just for that campaign. This tactic promotes the contest, and gives your contestants a different tag to connect with other contestants.
This is how Dry Soda uses a specific #fridayDRYday brand tag to get their community involved, and show fan photos of the week.
9. Use #Hastags general – Include general tags in your publications, so that the user finds you when searching for your products or related products. For example, if your business is a coffee shop and you post an image of your delicious latte, include tags like #milk or #coffee.
10. Use #Hashtags on Trending Topics – Trends on Instagram can emerge from one day to the next, and they often last for a very short time. If you see a trend, and it fits your brand, use it. Your post could literally be seen by thousands of consumers in a matter of minutes.
11. Find and use #Hastags to create engagement – Make sure you keep exploring new and relevant tags on Instagram. Use them in your ads. If they are active tags, take your time to connect with the user through comments and liking the posts. It can be a very nice way to connect with more Instagram users around the world.
12. Monitor your brand’s #Hashtags – Your consumers are using the tags to connect with you. Make sure you stay in control of your Instagram Hashtags, just like you would your Facebook page and Twitter mentions. Respond to comments quickly, and you’ll build strong customer relationships.
Focus on your Clients
13. Make your followers famous – Share photos of your followers on your social sites. Show your customers that you appreciate them by thanking them for their photos, and sharing them with your fans on Facebook or followers on Twitter. NOTE: be sure to ask permission to use their photo first!
Starbucks is one of the 3 most popular brands on Instagram. They use this tactic frequently. Every few weeks they show appreciation for one of their followers by posting an image created by them. The images include your products. They also publish the image on Facebook and even use it as a cover photo. His fans love it.
14. Incorporate photos of followers – Instagram now allows you to incorporate Instagram photos on your website. Use this to show images of your brand and product published by your followers on Instagram incorporating the entire publication. Be sure to tell them that you’re showing their images, so they feel appreciated, and to get their permission to use them.
15. Appreciate the photos of your followers – Recognize the genius of your customers by liking their photos – particularly if they include your product, or talk about your brand.
16. Comment on the photos of your followers – Make your customers loyal by commenting on the products related to your market that they include in their photos.
17. Reply to comments on all your posts – If someone makes a comment on your posts, reply to them. This is particularly important when the comment is a question, or even something negative about your brand.
18. @mention your customers – @mention is another important part of Instagram. @mention your followers, customers, and any other user with good photos of your products. You show appreciation for them, you have to generate engagement in your market.
19. @mention celebrities and other leaders in your industry – If the images are about celebrities, have a look. They will appreciate it enough to share it with their followers.
20. Focus on building customer loyalty – Publish images with your customer in mind. Don’t just post about your product. Make your Instagram business a lifestyle, and create a strong connection with your customers.
Show your material
21. Get creative with your photos – Use interesting angles, lighting, and other photography tricks – you can hire a photographer or learn a few tricks on your own. Use photoshop, Diptic or PhotoShake to edit your photos, or combine multiple photos into one.
22. Create videos – Instagram now has capabilities for short videos. Use this to make 15 second videos.
23. Post photos and short videos about your products – take and post fresh photos of your products to share with Instagram users.
24. Show your products in real environments – Show photos of your products, as they are used in real life.
25. Show your products creatively – Be original and creative.
26. Show the brand story – Post photos and videos to show the core values of the company and brand.
27. Show who you are – Present funny photos and videos of your employees. Show your followers on Instagram the “behind the scenes” of your company. This will show you as a sincere company.
28. Post fun and authentic videos of your CEO – Get your top executives close. Make short and quick videos of them to post on Instagram. For example, show a hobby they have and do when they are not working or doing something fun at the office.
29. Share exclusive content – Use your Instagram account to show photos that you have not shared on Facebook, Twitter or a blog (and vice versa). This makes your followers feel special.
30. Launch a product live on Instagram – If you are launching a new product, taking your musical group on tour, or opening a new store, etc. – do it live on Instagram. For example, On the day you launch your product, shoot some 15-second videos of yourself and the staff behind the scenes preparing for the launch . Post this on Instagram.
31. Create a pre-launch – If you are launching a new product through Instagram, be sure to build buzz. Tease your followers with a 15-second behind-the-scenes video to see how you are preparing for the new product – without revealing exactly what it is. (Think Steve Jobs Marketing).
32. Show your staff’s post-launch party (or cleanup) – Dare to show yourself and your employees in real situations by posting a short video of yourself after a product launch.
33. Partner with other Brands on Instagram – Whether you have a small store business or a large multinational, you will have relationships with other companies. If they are also on Instagram, join, and get them to publish your products on their Instagram account.
Add more Strategies
34. Ask for comments on your photos and videos – If you want more engagement in your posts, ask for it. Questions start conversations. Ask your followers what they think of the new post you made.
35. Ask questions about your business or products – Use questions to get your people talking about your business. For example, ask your followers if they have used your product today. Create a unique tag for it.
36. Ask questions about your followers’ habits – Ask questions about lifestyles or how to solve common problems. For example, if you run a fashion store – ask what kind of boots your followers would wear with a new line of jeans you have.
37. Use “fill in the blank” posts – Make updates with a phrase that followers can fill in. For example, if you sell food, create a post with a picture of cereal. Include a “fill in the blank” phrase such as “I like to start my day with a bowl of ______.”
This gets people talking about products related to what you sell.
38. Use posts with photo title – Another great way to get engagement on your Instagram posts is through photo title questions. Take a good photo of your products, or something related to your market. Ask your followers to have fun putting captions on it. Tip: you can even run a photo title contest , to attract the participation of your followers through an attractive prize.
39. Ask for photos – Ask your followers to send you photos of how they use your product. This will increase your company’s brand awareness. It’s easy enough to do, but you may have to raise the stakes. To attract a lot of consumers to give you their photos, run an Instagram contest.
Run Instagram Contests
40. Create a photo contest – To get a lot of user-generated content, or just to get your fans to commit to letting you share their best photos, create an Instagram contest. Make the topic of the contest related to your company.
41. Create an Instagram photo contest with attractive prizes – When you sponsor an Instagram contest, make sure the prize provides the right incentive to get your customers to come in and share with their friends too. If the award is related to your market and your audience is interested, you can easily make your contest go viral.
42. Create an Instagram photo contest with voting – Include the ability to vote in your Instagram contest. This will make contestants compete for the most votes . They will spread the word about your contest with their friends and their friends’ friends.
Take advantage of the use of mobile devices
43. Specify the location – Use Photo Map to indicate where you are.
44. Promote the contest offline – use QR codes to attract more audiences from offline. Seduce them with coupons and discount vouchers.
45. Drive traffic from outside the internet to the network – Are you sponsoring a live event? Promote a hashtag for attendees to use to tag and share their photos.
46. Meet users in person – Organize a Meetup, that is, meet with Instagram users to meet them in person. Many of them will be potential customers.
Better ROI (Return on Investment)
47. Post constantly – Regardless of the number of followers, post regularly. This makes your brand regularly seen by your followers. They will be much more likely to become repeat customers this way.
48. Determine the frequency of posts – You may need to post 2-3 times a day, or 2-3 times a week. Monitor your account to determine the frequency of posts.
49. Find the perfect time to post to Instagram – Not all brands have the best time to post to Instagram at the same time. Neither are all products. Use analytics tools to control when photos are liked and commented on. Find out if your tags are being used. Then publish the content during the busiest times.
50. Monitor your results on Instagram – Use analysis services, monitor your followers, the number of publications of your tags, the likes and comments of your publications.
51. Continuously improve – Based on the results of your content, keep improving the photo and video posts. If a particular type of image generates a lot of loyalty, keep using that type of publication. If using general tags makes your posts highly interactive, keep searching and using general tags.
52. Stay on top of Instagram trends – Instagram is constantly developing new and innovative ways to engage. Keep learning to stay informed on the best ways to connect.
Here you have it, 52 tips for a better connection with your market on Instagram. Try them and you will see the benefits you can get by improving marketing through mobile devices.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock