Find all the dimensions of the images published on Instagram: profile photo, publication of the feed, Story …
The guide to optimizing your images on Instagram. © wichayada – stock.adobe.com
Image size on Instagram
- The Instagram profile picture must be at least 110 × 100 pixels.
- An Instagram post can adopt the square format (1080 × 1080 pixels, ratio 1: 1), the landscape format (1080 × 566 pixels, ratio 1.91: 1) or the portrait format (1080 × 1350 pixels, ratio 4: 5).
- The size of a featured Story thumbnail is 161 × 161 pixels.
- The size of a Story posted on Instagram should be 1080 × 1920 pixels, or a 9:16 ratio.
- Videos posted to your Instagram feed should have proportions between 16: 9 and 4: 5, with a maximum length of 1 minute.
- IGTV videos can adopt a portrait format in 1080 × 1920 pixels (9:16 aspect ratio) or landscape in 1920 × 1080 (16: 9 aspect ratio).
- The recommended format for Reels is the vertical format, with a 9:16 aspect ratio.
- Regarding advertising, choose a ratio of 9:16 for Stories, 1: 1 for posts and 9:19 for posts in the Explore tab, with a resolution of at least 1080 × 1080 pixels and a size maximum file size of 30 MB.
Tips for optimizing your images on Instagram
Find below a series of recommendations for optimizing your image sizes on Instagram, whether for your profile picture, your posts in the feed, your Stories, your Reels or your ads on the platform.
- Profile picture: your profile picture size on Instagram displays in 180x180pixels on desktop. To optimize the quality of your image, the platform recommends a format of 200 × 200 pixels. Note: Instagram will automatically crop your image to fit the circular format, so be sure to put the main elements in the center of your photo so they don’t get cut off.
- Photo publication: Whether your image is in square, portrait or landscape format, it is advisable to adopt 1080 pixels wide to obtain the best possible rendering and thus avoid losing quality when Instagram compresses your image.
- Video posting: when you share a video on Instagram, it must adopt a rate of 30 frames per second and be limited to a maximum weight of 4 GB.
- Carousel publication: Carousels allow you to post several content in a single publication (photos and videos in square, landscape or portrait format). On the other hand, the format of the first content in the carousel defines the format of all the images that follow.
- Instagram Story : Stories must have a format between 1.91: 1 minimum and 9:16 maximum. If you want your Story to appear on the entire screen, use the 9:16 aspect ratio with a 1080 × 1920 pixel aspect ratio.
- IGTV video : for an optimized cover photo of your IGTV video, it must respect a ratio of 1: 1.55, in 420 × 654 pixels format. In case you are sharing your IGTV video on your Instagram feed, consider the 1: 1 ratio and think about centering the important elements so that they appear without being cut.
- Publication Reel: A Reel’s information (profile name, description, audio title) is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Be careful not to write important information here.
- Instagram Advertising: Instagram recommends a minimum resolution of 1080 × 1080 pixels for sponsored posts. Regarding Stories, it will be necessary to leave 250 pixels without content at the top and bottom to prevent important elements from being covered by the call-to-action or the profile icon.
Receive all digital news by email